If the only thing you’ve slicked on your lips since June is zinc oxide, it’s time to get back in the game. See what lip shades are hot this season.
One beauty pairing definitely dominated the runway: a wine-stained lip with a clean eye. From Gucci to Rochas to Yves Saint Laurent, makeup artists favored the darker lip.
To carry off the look, a little preparation is essential, advises Tom Pecheux, creative makeup director for Estée Lauder. Moisturize the night before with a balm to prevent “bleeding.” Prior to applying lipstick, line your lips with pencil—use either a shade that matches your natural color or one that matches the lipstick itself. Never, ever use a pencil that’s darker. Then comes the lipstick. Finish the look with mascara only. It will open up eyes without taking focus off lips.
1. Smashbox Be Legendary Lipstick in Black Plum
2. CoverGirl Queen Collection Lipcolor in Fine Wine
3. Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Lip Tar in Dekadent
4. Yves Saint Laurent Beaute Rouge Pur Couture Mat Lipstick in Prune Avenue
5. Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Black Cherry