Whether your place of work is strict or relaxed, there is a certain level of refinement that should always be maintained — and things you should simply never do. Learn the 10 rules for building a chic workplace wardrobe.
1. Obey the rules, whether you like them or not. Dressing against office dictates won’t impress the boss — or your colleagues.
2. Never show your midriff. Wear shirts of a proper length, and shun pants that ride too low.
3. Avoid revealing too much cleavage. Work is definitely not the place for it.
4. Keep your straps under wraps. Never let your bra show, and make sure your shirt is buttoned up properly.
5. And don’t wear anything see-through without proper underpinnings, ever.
6. Keep your hemlines in check. Even if you have great gams, super-short skirts should be saved for evenings out or weekends. A few inches above the knee is the shortest you should go.
7. Save your flip-flops for the beach. And your sneakers for the gym. Wear a pair of simple flats for your commute instead.
8. Use your best judgment. Save slinkier styles, like lacy camisoles and strapless dresses, for the evening.
9. Try not to go too tight. The office isn’t the right place to hug every curve.
10. Don’t get too wacky. It’s fine to express your personal style, but keep it refined. Crazy hats, over-the-top makeup, and raucous patterns or colors will make you see too eccentric.